The definition of a subplot is an additional story line to the main plot of a fictional story.
An example of a subplot is a Civil War movie that also features a love story.
- A plot subordinate to the main plot of a work of fiction. Also called counterplot . Also called underplot .
- A subdivision of a plot of land, especially a plot used for experimental purposes.
- This running "subplot" gave Country House a compelling narrative to run alongside the history.
- The subplot belongs on the page not on the screen and because it would have had audiences sitting confused in their uncomfortable theater seats for much longer than needed to tell the story of the Goblet of Fire.
- In selecting an idea, you may want to play up the movie aspect, focus on the musical side of the story, or turn to the sports subplot.
- In another subplot, Julie is planning to go across the country on a road trip, and Ben invites himself along.