- family or branch of a family
- Law the person from whom a family or branch of a family is descended
Origin of stirpsClassical Latin literally , a stalk, trunk, root ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ster-, rigid, stiff, stare
- A line of descendants of common ancestry; stock.
- Law A person from whom a family is descended.
Origin of stirpsLatin, stem, lineage.
- A branch of a family.
- A progenitor of a branch of a family.
- (zoology, botany) A superfamily of animals or plants.
- plural form of stirp
- spirts, sprits, strips
stirps - Legal Definition
A branch of a family or of the family tree. See also per stirpes.