- like, formed of, or covered with scales
- Anat. designating or of a thin, scalelike cell, structure, etc., esp. an epithelial cell or a platelike structure in the upper anterior portion of the temporal bone
Origin of squamousClassical Latin squamosus ; from squama, a scale
- Covered with or formed of scales; scaly.
- Resembling a scale or scales; thin and flat like a scale: the squamous cells of the cervix.
- Of or relating to the thin, platelike part of the temporal bone.
Origin of squamousLatin squam&omacron;sus, from squama, scale.
(comparative more squamous, superlative most squamous)
From Latin squÄmÅsus, from squÄma (“scale").