- any of several wading birds (family Threskiornithidae) with a broad, flat bill that is spoon-shaped at the tip; esp., the (Ajaia ajaja) of North and South America
- any of a number of other birds with a bill like this, as a shoveler duck
- ☆ paddlefish
- a. Any of several long-legged wading birds of the genus Platalea, having a long, flat bill with a broadly spatulate tip.b. Any of various broad-billed ducks, such as the shoveler.
- See paddlefish.
- Any of various large, long-legged wading birds in the family Threskiornithidae, which also includes the ibises, that have a large, flat, spatulate bill.
- (US) A species of fish, Polyodon spathula, native to the Mississippi/Ohio/Missouri river basin, or extinct close relatives.