- The definition of soluble is something that can be dissolved, or a problem that can be solved.
- Sugar that dissolves into water so it becomes a part of it is an example of something that is soluble.
- A simple math problem like 2+2 that you can easily find the answer to is an example of something that is soluble.
- that can be dissolved; able to pass into solution
- capable of being solved
Origin: Middle English from Middle French from Classical Latin solubilis from solvere: see solve
- solubly adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- That can be dissolved, especially easily dissolved: soluble fats.
- Possible to solve or explain: soluble mysteries.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin solūbilis, from Latin solvere, to loosen; see leu- in Indo-European roots.
- solˈu·ble·ness noun
- solˈu·bly adverb
soluble - Medical Definition
soluble - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.