- Alternative spelling of slough (skin shed by a snake or other reptile).
- That is the sluff of a rattler; we must be careful.
- Alternative spelling of slough (dead skin on a sore or ulcer).
- This is the sluff that came off of his skin after the burn.
- An avalanche, mudslide, or a like slumping of material or debris.
(third-person singular simple present sluffs, present participle sluffing, simple past and past participle sluffed)
From Middle English slough (“skin, husk, rind; cocoon; scales; cyst"), akin to Middle High German slÃ»ch (“slough") (whence German Schlauch (“tube, hose")).
- (slang, US, Air Force) Short Little Ugly Fat Fellow (Fucker); US Airforce nickname for the A-7 bomber.