- a comic scene or piece of business, as in a vaudeville act
- an attention-getting device
- a special trait, talent, etc.
Origin of shtickfrom eastern; English Yiddish shtik, plural , pranks, interpreted as singular from shtik, literally , piece from Middle High German stücke
also schtick or shtik
- A characteristic attribute, talent, or trait that is helpful in securing recognition or attention: waiters in tropical attire are part of the restaurant's shtick.
- An entertainment routine or gimmick.
Origin of shtickYiddish shtik piece, routine from Middle High German stücke piece from Old High German stukki crust, fragment
From Yiddish ×©×˜×™×§ (shtik, “piece"), cognate to German StÃ¼ck.