shtick definition by Webster's New World
- a comic scene or piece of business, as in a vaudeville act
- an attention-getting device
- a special trait, talent, etc.
Origin: ; from eastern; English Yiddish shtik, plural , pranks, interpreted as singular ; from shtik, literally , piece ; from Middle High German stücke
shtick definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also schtick or shtiknoun Slang
- A characteristic attribute, talent, or trait that is helpful in securing recognition or attention: waiters in tropical attire are part of the restaurant's shtick.
- An entertainment routine or gimmick.
Origin: Yiddish shtik, piece, routine, from Middle High German stücke, piece, from Old High German stukki, crust, fragment.