⌂ or shoot′-out·
- a battle with handguns, etc., as between police and criminals
- any confrontation to settle a conflict
- Sports any of various procedures used to break a tie at the end of a game, as, in soccer, one in which each team is given penalty kicks
- a. A gunfight.b. A battle between military forces.c. Slang A dispute or conflict to settle a disagreement: The marriage ended in a legal shootout.
- Sports a. A high-scoring period or game.b. A means of resolving a tie in sports such as soccer and hockey, in which selected players from each team alternately take individual shots on a goal defended only by a goalie.
- A decisive battle, especially a gunfight.
- (soccer) penalty shootout
- (ice hockey) a series of penalty shots during which a tied game is resolved.