- Semantic is defined as the meaning or interpretation of a word or sentence.
An example of semantics is how a sentence is interpreted in a multi-page document; the semantic meaning of the sentence.
- Semantics is defined as the study of the meaning of language.
When you analyze the logic and meaning behind a poem, this is an example of when you study the semantics.
- of or pertaining to meaning, esp. meaning in language
- of or according to semantics as a branch of linguistics or of semiotics
Origin of semanticClassical Greek s?mantikos, significant from s?mainein, to show, explain by a sign from s?ma, a sign, symbol from Indo-European an unverified form dhy?m? (from source Sanskrit dhy?man, thought) from base an unverified form dhy?-, to see, behold
- Of or relating to meaning, especially meaning in language.
- Of, relating to, or according to the science of semantics.
Origin of semanticFrench sémantique from Greek sēmantikos significant from sēmantos marked from sēmainein sēman- to signify from sēma sign