- Semantic is defined as the meaning or interpretation of a word or sentence.
An example of semantics is how a sentence is interpreted in a multi-page document; the semantic meaning of the sentence.
- Semantics is defined as the study of the meaning of language.
When you analyze the logic and meaning behind a poem, this is an example of when you study the semantics.
- of or pertaining to meaning, esp. meaning in language
- of or according to semantics as a branch of linguistics or of semiotics
Origin of semanticClassical Greek sēmantikos, significant ; from sēmainein, to show, explain by a sign ; from sēma, a sign, symbol ; from Indo-European an unverified form dhyāmṇ (from source Sanskrit dhyāman, thought) ; from base an unverified form dhyā-, to see, behold
- Of or relating to meaning, especially meaning in language.
- Of, relating to, or according to the science of semantics.
Origin of semanticFrench sémantique, from Greek sēmantikos, significant, from sēmantos, marked, from sēmainein, sēman-, to signify, from sēma, sign.
- amnestic, nematics