- a climbing Asian convolvulus (Convolvulus scammonia) with thick roots, arrowhead-shaped leaves, and white or purplish flowers
- any of several plants whose roots yield medicinal resins; specif., Mexican scammony (Ipomoea orizabensis) of the morning-glory family
- the resin from the roots of any of these plants
Origin of scammonyMiddle English skamonye ; from Classical Latin scammonia ; from Classical Greek skamm?nia
- a. An eastern Mediterranean plant (Convolvulus scammonia) having large roots that yield a resin formerly used as a cathartic.b. A Mexican plant (Ipomoea orizabensis) yielding a similar resin.
- A cathartic preparation obtained from these resins.
Origin of scammonyMiddle English scamonie, from Old English scammōniam and from Old French scamonie, both from Latin scammōnea, from Greek skammōniā.