scammony definition by Webster's New World
- a climbing Asian convolvulus (Convolvulus scammonia) with thick roots, arrowhead-shaped leaves, and white or purplish flowers
- any of several plants whose roots yield medicinal resins; specif., (Ipomoea orizabensis) of the morning-glory family
- the resin from the roots of any of these plants
Origin: Middle English skamonye ; from Classical Latin scammonia ; from Classical Greek skammōnia
scammony definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. scam·mo·nies
- An eastern Mediterranean plant (Convolvulus scammonia) having large roots that yield a resin formerly used as a cathartic.
- The resin obtained from this plant.
- A cathartic preparation made from this resin.
Origin: Middle English scamonie, from Old English scammōniam and from Old French scamonie, both from Latin scammōnea, from Greek skammōniā.