- a sail placed to catch wind passing by the regular sails
- a net spread between a ship and pier while cargo is being loaded or unloaded
- Any of various devices for preventing waste, damage, or loss.
- A receptacle for catching the waste products of a process for further use in manufacture.
- Anything that saves fragments, or prevents waste or loss.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.