- a species of Juneberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) of the central and N North American plains
- the edible fruit of this shrub
Origin of saskatoon; from Cree misaaskwatoomin, saskatoon berry ; from misaaskwat, the shrub, literally , that which is solid wood + -min, berry
- Any of several serviceberries, especially Amelanchier alnifolia of western North America.
- The fruit of any of these plants.
Origin of saskatoonFrom Cree misaaskwatoomin, saskatoon berry.
- (Canadian Prairies) A shrub inhabiting western North America, Amelanchier alnifolia.
- (Canadian Prairies) The edible berry of this shrub.
From Cree á’¥á“µá¢á‘²á§á‘‘á’¥á£ (misaË™skwatoË™min, “saskatoon berry"), from á’¥á“µá¢á‘²á§áŸ (misÃ¢skwat, “saskatoon") + -min (“berry").