- of or pertaining to organisms living in highly polluted waters
- of or pertaining to saprophytes
Origin of saprobicfrom sapro- + Classical Greek bios, life + -ic
(not generally comparable, comparative more saprobic, superlative most saprobic)
- (biology) Of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a saprobe or saprobes; that feeds on dead or decaying organic matter.
- (ecology) That contains dead or decaying organic material (therefore also saprobes).
In the ecological sense, a zone is more saprobic than another if it scores higher on a scale that depends on the number of saprobe species found, as well as the abundance of each species.
- saprobity, saprobity index
From saprobe +"Ž -ic.