Variant of salvage
- the voluntary rescue of a ship or its cargo at sea from peril such as fire, shipwreck, capture, etc.
- compensation paid for such a rescue
- the ship or cargo so rescued
- the recovery of a sunken or wrecked ship or its cargo as by divers
- the saving or rescue of any goods, property, etc. from destruction, damage, or waste
- any material, goods, etc. thus saved and sold or put to use
- the value, or proceeds from the sale, of such goods, specif. of damaged goods, as involved in insurance claim settlements
Origin: Fr from Middle French from salver, to save
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.