- among some North American Indian tribes, the chief (of the tribe or of a confederation)
- any of the leaders of the Tammany Society
Origin of sachem; from Algonquian languages of southeastern New England: compare Massachusett sontim, Narragansett sâchim
- a. A chief of a Native American tribe or confederation, especially an Algonquian chief.b. A member of the ruling council of the Iroquois confederacy.
- A high official of the Tammany Society, a political organization in New York City.
Origin of sachemOf Massachusett origin.
- A chief of a tribe of the American Natives; a sagamore.