Sabbatarian[sab′ə ter′ē ən]
- of the Sabbath and its observance
- of the beliefs and practices of the Sabbatarians
Origin: LL(Ec) sabbatarius
- a person, esp. a Christian, who observes Saturday as the Sabbath
- a Christian who favors rigid observance of Sunday as the Sabbath
- Sabbatarianism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who observes Saturday as the Sabbath, as in Judaism.
- One who believes in strict observance of the Sabbath.
Origin: From Late Latin sabbatārius, from Latin sabbatum, Sabbath; see sabbath .
- Sabˌba·tarˈi·an·ism noun