When a VCR tape is playing and you want to go back five minutes and watch the prior scene again so you wind the tape back, this is an example of when you rewind.
transitive verb-·wound′, -·wind′ing
- something rewound
- the act of rewinding
verbre·wound, re·wind·ing, re·winds
- To wind again or anew: rewound the thread on the spool.
- To reverse the winding of (audiotape, videotape, or film).
- To reverse the playing of (an audio or video recording).
- a. To rewind an audiotape or other linear recording.b. To be rewound: Let the tape rewind to the beginning.
- To return to an earlier time or stage in a sequence of events.
- The act or process of rewinding or being rewound.
- A control mechanism for rewinding tape or film, for example.
(third-person singular simple present rewinds, present participle rewinding, simple past and past participle rewound)
From re- +"Ž wind.