- Historical a man's long, full-skirted overcoat
- a long, unlined, lightweight coat, open down the front, worn by women
Origin of redingoteFr, altered from eastern; English riding coat
- A man's long double-breasted topcoat with full skirt.
- A woman's full-length unlined coat or dress open down the front to show a dress or underdress.
Origin of redingoteFrench alteration of English riding coat
- (now historical) A long coat or greatcoat for men. [from 18th c.]
- A women's dress coat or long fitted coat with a flared skirt. [from 19th c.]