- Relating to a rector.
Variant of rector
- Obsolete a ruler, governor, or leader
- an Episcopal minister in charge of a parish
- Ch. of England
- a member of the clergy who holds the rights and tithes of a parish
- the priest leading a team ministry
- a priest heading a seminary, college, etc.
- sometimes, a pastor or other head priest
- in certain schools, colleges, and universities, the head or headmaster
Origin of rectorMiddle English ; from Classical Latin ; from past participle of regere, to rule: see right