- The definition of real time is something happening now or something that is being broadcast over the exact number of minutes, seconds or hours the event is taking.
An example of real time is when journalists show live footage from an accident scene.
- The actual time in which a physical process under computer study or control occurs.
- The time required for a computer to solve a problem, measured from the time data are fed in to the time a solution is received.
- The timing or arrangement allowing a process, such as an exchange of remarks, to occur normally, as without delay or asynchronism: communicated in real time by instant messaging rather than by e-mail.
- (computing) Alternative form of realtime.
real time - Computer Definition
As fast as required. A real-time system must respond to a signal, event or request fast enough to satisfy some requirement. Real time often refers to process control and embedded systems. For example, space flight computers must respond to changing conditions in order to keep the rocket ship on course. Industrial robots must respond quickly in order to keep the assembly line moving at full speed. Antilock brakes and other driving assist systems must respond to changing road conditions immediately in order to benefit the driver and vehicle. See embedded system, real-time audio, real-time video and real-time search. Videoconferencing and Gaming Videoconferencing requires real-time systems that can transmit video across the network and display it at the other end as quickly as the camera is capturing it. Gaming is another real-time application. The system must respond to the user's inputs and render video frames on screen fast enough to simulate realistic motion. Business Systems - Not Really The typical transaction processing system is not considered real time even though it does update databases immediately. However, in the past, as business information systems became fast enough to respond to queries and updates in only a second or two, they were called real-time systems. See online.
real time - Investment & Finance Definition
Refers to information that is available a fraction of a second after it happens. Financial news and some price quotations are available in real-time.