- a person who tries to make rain fall; specif.,
- a North American Indian medicine man using rituals to influence the rain gods
- Informal a meteorologist or aircraft pilot involved in seeding clouds or the like
- an influential person who can bring success or new vigor to an enterprise
- a person, esp. an attorney, who attracts new clients or business to a firm, practice, etc.
- Informal One who is known for achieving excellent results in a profession or field, such as business or politics.
- One who is believed to be capable of producing rain, as through magical or ritual actions.
- A native american medicine man who induces rain by rituals.
- A person who induces rainfall through scientific methods (i.e. silver iodide cloud seeding).
- (figurative) An employee of a company who creates a large amount of unexpected business, consistently brings in money at critical times, or brings in markedly more money than his or her co-workers, thereby "floating their salaries".
- (figurative) An investor in sick or start-up business ventures.
- (slang) (figurative) An executive or lawyer with exceptional ability to attract clients, use political connections, or increase profits, etc.
- The president has several rainmakers among his advisers.
- (baseball, informal) A batted ball that is hit very high into the air.
- The slugger is known for hitting rainmakers.