- (geometry) Of or relating to a quadrant, or included in the fourth part of a circle.
- quadrantal space; quadrantal triangle; quadrantal versor
Latin quadrantalis (“containing the fourth part of a measure”).
Variant of quadrant
- a fourth part of the circumference of a circle; an arc of 90°
- a quarter section of a circle
- any piece or part shaped like a quarter section of a circle
- an instrument similar to the sextant in design and function, and superseded by it
- Geom. any of the four parts formed by rectangular coordinate axes on a plane surface
Origin of quadrantMiddle English ; from Classical Latin quadrans, fourth part ; from quadrare: see quadrate