capital of Papua New Guinea: seaport on the SE coast of New Guinea: pop. 193,000
The capital and largest city of Papua New Guinea, on southeast New Guinea and the Gulf of Papua. British explorer Capt. John Moresby (1830–1922), who landed here in 1873, named the harbor for his father. The city was founded by the British after 1883.
Named by the explorer of its harbour, Captain John Moresby, after his father, Admiral Fairfax Moresby.