An example of porosity is the quality of a sponge.
- the quality or state of being porous
- the ratio, usually expressed as a percentage, of the volume of a material's pores, as in rock, to its total volume
- anything porous
Origin of porosityMiddle English porositee ; from Medieval Latin porositas: see porous + -ity
- The state or property of being porous.
- A structure or part that is porous.
- The ratio of the volume of all the pores in a material to the volume of the whole.
Origin of porosityMiddle English porosite, from Old French, from Medieval Latin por&omacron;sit&amacron;s, from por&omacron;sus, porous; see porous.
(countable and uncountable, plural porosities)