- having or making many sounds
- of or characterized by polyphony; contrapuntal
- that can produce more than one tone at a time, as a piano
- Phonet. representing more than one sound: said as of the letter c as used in cat and in cereal
Origin of polyphonicClassical Greek polyph?nos, having many tones: see poly- and amp; -phone
- Music Of, relating to, or characterized by polyphony.
- Linguistics Having two or more phonetic values.
polyphonic - Computer Definition
The ability to play back some number of musical notes simultaneously. For example, 16-voice polyphony means a total of 16 notes, or waveforms, can be played concurrently.