- of or having to do with rain
- having much rain
- Geol. formed by the action of rain
Origin of pluvialClassical Latin pluvialis from pluvia, rain from Indo-European an unverified form pleu-, to flow, pour from base an unverified form pel-, to pour, fill from source full, Classical Latin pluere
- Of or relating to rain; rainy.
- Marked or formed by abundant rainfall: pluvial periods; a pluvial lake.
An extended period of abundant rainfall, especially such a period of the Pleistocene Epoch.
Origin of pluvialLatin pluviālis from pluvia rain ; see pluvious .
(comparative more pluvial, superlative most pluvial)
- Of, pertaining to, or produced by rain
- (geology) occurring through the action of rain
- (geology) a rainy period
From Latin pluviÄlis (“rainy").