- to squeeze between a finger and the thumb or between two surfaces, edges, etc.
- to nip off the end of (a plant shoot), as for controlling bud development
- to press painfully upon (some part of the body)
- to cause distress or discomfort to
- to cause to become thin, cramped, etc., as by hunger, pain, cold, etc.
- to restrict closely; straiten; stint: usually in the passive voice
- to steal
- to arrest
- Naut. to sail (a vessel) too close to the wind when closehauled
ME pinchen < NormFr *pincher < OFr pincier < VL *pinctiare < ? punctiare, to prick (see puncheon), infl. by *piccare: see picador
Baseball of or having to do with a substitute hitter or runner