Origin of piliferouspili- + -ferous
The piliferous layer of skin contains the hair follicles.
- An example of piliferous is a hair follicle; a piliferous follicle.
- An example of piliferous is the vitamin biotin; a piliferous vitamin.
The definition of piliferous is a person or thing that has or produces hair.
Bearing or producing hair.
Origin of piliferousLatin pilus hair -ferous
(comparative more piliferous, superlative most piliferous)
- Containing or producing hair.
- U, Absorbing cell, with process (root-hair) from piliferous layer of root of Phanerogam.
- The outermost is the caiyptrogen, which gives rise to the root-cap, and in Dicotyledons to the piliferous layer as well.
- The periblem, one cell thick at the apex, produces the cortex, to which the piliferous layer belongs in Monocotyledons; and the plerome, which is nearly always sharply separated from the periblem, gives rise to the vascular cylinder.
- The root hairs grow out from the cells of the piliferous layer immediately behind the elongating tegion.