Escherichia coli bacterium
An example of peritrichous is a bacteria with flagella projections distributed all over the body surface.
- having flagella evenly distributed over the entire surface of the cell: said of bacteria
- Zool. having a row of cilia around the mouth: said of protozoans
Origin of peritrichousperi- + trich(o)- + -ous
- Having flagella uniformly distributed over the body surface, as certain bacteria.
- Having a band of cilia around the mouth, as certain protozoans.
(comparative more peritrichous, superlative most peritrichous)
- (biology) Having flagella around the body or around the mouth