- Present participle of penance.
Variant of penance
- R.C.Ch., Eastern Orthodox Ch.
- a sacrament involving the confession of sin, repentance, and acceptance of the satisfaction imposed, followed by absolution by a priest
- the satisfaction imposed, as the recital of certain prayers
- any act of reparation, self-punishment, etc. done in repentance for a sin or wrongdoing
Origin of penanceMiddle English ; from Old French peneance ; from Classical Latin paenitentia, poenitentia ; from paenitens: see penitent
to do one or more acts of penance