- a piece of cloth placed under a saddle; saddle lining
- a soft saddle
- a section or division of a surface, or one that constitutes a surface; specif.,
- a section of a fence or railing between two posts
- a flat piece, usually rectangular, forming a part of the surface of a wall, door, cabinet, etc., and usually raised, recessed, framed, etc.
- a similar piece used for enclosing or covering something or serving as a light diffuser, a built-in heating element in space heating, etc.
- a compartment or pane of a window
- a section of a tapestry
- any of the sections of a comic strip
- an insulated board, or flat surface, for instruments or controls, as of an electric circuit, airplane, etc.
- a thin board for an oil painting
- a painting on such a board
- any picture very much longer than it is wide
< piece of parchment on which orig. recorded
- a list of persons summoned for jury duty
- the persons summoned or the jury itself
- a group of persons selected for a specific purpose, as judging a contest, discussing an issue publicly, performing on a radio or TV quiz show, etc.
- any of the sections of a wing
- any of the sections of fabric, etc. used in the envelope of a balloon or airship, or in the canopy of a parachute
- Dressmaking a lengthwise strip, as of contrasting material, in a skirt or dress
- Mining a compartment of a mine
OFr < VL *pannellus, dim. of L pannus, piece of cloth: see pane
transitive verb paneled or panelled, paneling or panelling
to cover, provide, fit, or decorate with panels