nounpl. -·tos or -·toes
any of several fan palms; esp., a cabbage palm (Sabal palmetto) of the SE U.S.
Origin of palmettoSpanish palmito, diminutive from palma from L, palm
nounpl. pal·met·tos, or pal·met·toes
- See saw palmetto.
- Any of several tropical and subtropical palms of the Americas having fan-shaped leaves, especially one of the genus Sabal, such as the cabbage palm.
- Leaf strips of any of these plants, used in weaving.
Origin of palmettoSpanish palmito diminutive of palma palm tree from Latin; see palm 2.
- (botany) Either of two closely related genera of New World palms, of the family Arecaceae:
- Serenoa or its sole species Serenoa repens, the saw palmetto, which has medicinal uses;
- Sabal, represented by about 15 species, some known commonly as palmettos, others as fan palms.
- A native or resident of the US state of South Carolina.