Oman definition by Webster's New World
- SE coastal region of Arabia, on the Arabian Sea
- country in this region: an independent sultanate: 119,499 sq mi (309,500 sq km); pop. 2,070,000; cap. Muscat
- arm of the Arabian Sea, between Iran & Oman in Arabia: c. 350 mi (563 km) long
- Omani adjective, noun
Oman definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Formerly Mus·cat and Oman
- O·manˈi adjective & n.
Oman - Cultural Definition
Kingdom on the southern and eastern coasts of the Arabian Peninsula on the Arabian Sea, bordered to the northwest by the United Arab Emirates, the west by Saudi Arabia, and the southwest by Yemen. Oman includes a tip of land on one side of the Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Persian Gulf.
- Strategically located on trading and military routes between the Persian Gulf and Asia and east Africa, Oman has been occupied by the Portuguese, the Turks, and the Persians; since the beginning of the nineteenth century, it has maintained close relations with Britain.
- Oman began exporting oil in 1967.