- An example of a nonstandard ruler is a ruler that is only eleven inches long.
- An example of nonstandard language is using the word "ain't."
The definition of nonstandard is not the usual, or speaking or writing a language in a way that is considered improper.
- not standard
- Linguis. designating or of dialects or usages, locutions, grammatical constructions, pronunciations, etc. that differ from the standard dialect
- Varying from or not adhering to the standard: nonstandard lengths of board.
- Linguistics Associated with a language variety used by uneducated speakers or socially disfavored groups.
(comparative more nonstandard, superlative most nonstandard)
- Not standard.
- (linguistics) Not conforming to the language as used by the majority of its speakers.
- Something that is not standard.
non- +"Ž standard