- gun moll
- a prostitute
Origin of mollfrom Moll, a diminutive of Mary
- A girlfriend of a gunman or gangster. Also called gun moll .
- A woman prostitute.
Origin of mollProbably from the name Moll nickname for Mary
- A female companion of a gangster, especially a former or current prostitute.
- A prostitute or woman with loose sexual morals.
- (Australia, New Zealand, slang, pejorative) Bitch, slut; an insulting epithet applied to a female.
- (Australia, New Zealand, slang) A girlfriend of a bikie.
- (Australia, New Zealand, slang) A girlfriend of a surfie; blends with pejorative sense.
(girlfriend of a surfie or bikie): Because Australian pronunciation merges the /É’/ and /É™ÊŠ/ phonemes before /l/ (both become [oÊŠl]), this word is very commonly spelt mole in Australia, probably by contamination with mole (“sneaky person"). Indeed, the Australian Oxford dictionary does not list the Australian meaning of the term under the headword moll, but only under mole, although it does recognise that mole in this sense is “probably" a mere “variant of moll".
From Moll, an archaic nickname for Mary (see also Molly).
- (music, obsolete) minor; in the minor mode
- A moll, that is, A minor
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.