- The middle of the East Coast of the United States.
- The middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Used alone, with "the".
- Used alone, after a verb or preposition of location, without "the".
- Used as an attributive modifier in compounds such as "mid-Atlantic current" and "Mid-Atlantic Ridge": located in, or otherwise relating to, the mid-Atlantic.
- (figuratively) Used as an attributive modifier in compounds such as "mid-Atlantic accent" and "mid-Atlantic English": half-American, half-European; combining American and European elements.