- (law) Abbreviation of Micronesia.
This is the customary abbreviation of this term as used in case citations. See, e.g., The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, Nineteenth Edition (2010), "Geographical Terms: Foreign countries and regions", Table T10.3, p. 438-443.
micr- - Computer Definition
(Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) The machine recognition of numeric data printed with magnetically charged ink. It is used on bank checks and deposit slips. MICR readers detect the characters and convert them into digital data. Although optical methods (OCR) became as sophisticated as the early MICR technology, magnetic ink is still used. It serves as a deterrent to fraud, because a photocopied check will not be printed with magnetic ink.
Variant of micro-
- little, small, minute: microcosm
- exceptionally little, abnormally small: microcephaly
- enlarging or amplifying: microscope, microphone
- involving microscopes, microscopic: micrography
- one millionth part of; the factor 10: symbol μ: microsecond
Origin of micro-Classical Greek mikro- ; from mikros, small ; from Indo-European an unverified form (s)meik-: see mica