This Italian dish is an example of something that is Mediterranean.
- The definition of Mediterranean is something related to or characteristic of the Mediterranean Sea, the countries bordering the sea or its inhabitants.
Food that comes from a country bordering the Mediterranean Sea is an example of something that would be described as mediterranean.
- Mediterranean is defined as the Mediterranean Sea or a native of a country bordering the Mediterranean Sea.
The largest inland sea, located between Europe, Asia and Africa, is an example of the Mediterranean.
- far from the coast; inland: said of land
- surrounded, or almost surrounded, by land; landlocked: said of water
- of the Mediterranean Sea or nearby regions
- designating or of a physical type of the Caucasoid peoples exemplified by the long-headed, short, olive-skinned people living around the Mediterranean Sea
- designating or of a style of furniture made, as through the use of plastic moldings, to simulate the heavy wood, massive lines, and ornate carving of a kind of Renaissance furniture
Origin of Mediterraneanfrom Classical Latin mediterraneus from medius, middle (see mid) + terra, land (see terrain)
- Surrounded nearly or completely by dry land. Used of large bodies of water, such as lakes or seas.
- Meteorology Of or relating to climates characterized by hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters.
Origin of mediterraneanLatin mediterrāneus inland medius middle ; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots. terra land ; see ters- in Indo-European roots.