Pilgrims surround the Kaaba in the city of Mecca.
Mecca is defined as a city in Saudi Arabia that Muslims consider to be a holy city in Islam, or any place that is the center of an activity and attracts many visitors with a similar interest.
- any place that draws tourists or visitors of a certain kind: Cooperstown is a Mecca for baseball fans
- any place that one yearns to go to
- any goal that one is seeking to achieve
Origin of Meccaafter Mecca: every Muslim is expected to make a pilgrimage to Mecca
city in W Saudi Arabia, near the Red Sea: birthplace of Muhammad and hence a holy city & destination for pilgrims in Islam: Ar. name Makkah
- a. A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.b. A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
- A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.
Origin of meccaAfter Mecca ( from its being a place of pilgrimage )
A city of western Saudi Arabia near the coast of the Red Sea. The birthplace of Muhammad, it is the holiest city of Islam and a pilgrimage site for devout Muslims.x
- Alternative form of Mecca.
- (figuratively) Any place considered to be a very important place to visit by people with a particular interest.