maillot[mä yō′, mī′ō′, mī ō′]
- a swimsuit; esp., a one-piece swimsuit for women
- a one-piece garment like this, worn by gymnasts, etc.
Origin: Fr, diminutive from maille, knitted material, literally , mail: see mail
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A coarsely knitted, stretchable jersey fabric.
- A pair of tights or a leotard of such fabric, worn for ballet or gymnastics.
- A woman's one-piece swimsuit usually cut high on the leg.
Origin: French, from Old French, swaddling clothes, from maille, mesh, from Latin macula.