Variant of mail
- Now Scot. a bag or piece of baggage
- Archaic a bag or packet of letters, etc. to be transported by post
- letters, papers, packages, etc. handled, transported, and delivered by the post office
- ☆ letters, papers, etc. received or sent by a person, company, etc.
- the system of collection, transportation, and delivery of letters, packages, etc.; postal systemalso called the mails
- the collection or delivery of letters, packages, etc. at a certain time: late for the morning mail
- Chiefly Brit. a vehicle for mail
Origin of mailMiddle English male ; from Old French ; from Middle High German malhe, a traveling bag ; from Old High German malaha, wallet
of mail; esp.,
- carrying, or used in the handling of, mail
- designating a person, or boat, train, etc. that transports letters, packages, etc.
☆ to send by mail, as by putting into a mailbox; post