Machinery is defined as a mechanical device or the parts that keep something working.noun
- An example of machinery is a car's engine.
- An example of machinery are the people who work for a political party; the machinery of the Republican Party.
noun pl. machineries
- machines collectively
- the working parts of a machine
- any combination of things or persons by which something is kept in action or a desired result is obtained: the machinery of government
- apparatus used to produce stage effects
- literary devices involving the introduction of supernatural beings or forces, as in epic poetry
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. ma·chin·er·ies
- Machines or machine parts considered as a group.
- The working parts of a particular machine.
- A system of related elements that operate in a definable manner: diplomatic and political machinery.
- a. A device or means of achieving or effecting a result.b. A literary device for bringing about an effect, such as a happy ending.