- formed or functioning like a lip
- having a lip or lips; lipped
- having the calyx or corolla so divided that one part overlaps the other like a lip
- of or pertaining to the mint family
Origin of labiateModern Latin labiatus from Classical Latin labium, lip
- Having lips or liplike parts.
- Botany a. Having or characterizing flowers with the corolla divided into liplike parts.b. Of or belonging to the mint family.
Origin of labiateLatin labium lip ; see labium . -ate 1 Adj., sense 2b, and noun, from New Latin Labiātae family name from Latin labium
(comparative more labiate, superlative most labiate)
(third-person singular simple present labiates, present participle labiating, simple past and past participle labiated)
- To labialize.