- formed or functioning like a lip
- having a lip or lips; lipped
- having the calyx or corolla so divided that one part overlaps the other like a lip
- of or pertaining to the mint family
Origin of labiateModern Latin labiatus ; from Classical Latin labium, lip
- Having lips or liplike parts.
- Botany a. Having or characterizing flowers with the corolla divided into liplike parts.b. Of or belonging to the mint family.
Origin of labiateLatin labium, lip; see labium + –ate1. Adj., sense 2b, and noun, from New Latin Labiatae, family name, from Latin labium.
(comparative more labiate, superlative most labiate)
(third-person singular simple present labiates, present participle labiating, simple past and past participle labiated)
- To labialize.