jump balljump ball
a ball tossed by the referee between two opposing players who must tip it to a teammate, as in beginning play
A method of starting play or determining possession in which an official tosses the ball up between two opposing players who jump and try to tap the ball to a teammate.
(plural jump balls)
- A method used to begin or resume play in basketball. Two opposing players attempt to gain control of the ball after it is tossed up into the air in between them by an official.
- After any dead ball, play shall be resumed by a jump ball, a throw-in or by placing the ball at the disposal of a free-thrower.
- Metaphor for a contest too close to call.
- The morning after Election Day, the Oregon governor's race is still a jump ball, but ex-NBA player Chris Dudley is clinging to a slim lead.
- In the context of general equities,