- a war by Muslims against unbelievers or enemies of Islam, carried out as a religious duty
- a fanatic campaign for or against an idea, etc.; crusade
Origin of jihadArabic a contest, war
- Islam An individual's striving for spiritual self-perfection.
- Islam A Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle for the propagation or defense of Islam.
- A campaign against perceived foes, especially such a campaign regarded as fanatical or immoderate: “The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who smoke” (Fortune).
Origin of jihadArabic jihād, from jahada, to strive; see ghd in Semitic roots.
From Arabic جهاد (jihād, “struggle; effort”).