jihad definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a war by Muslims against unbelievers or enemies of Islam, carried out as a religious duty
- a fanatic campaign for or against an idea, etc.; crusade
Origin: Arabic a contest, war
jihad definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Islam An individual's striving for spiritual self-perfection.
- Islam A Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle against infidels.
- A crusade or struggle: “The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who smoke” (Fortune).
Origin: Arabic jihād, from jahada, to strive; see ghd in Semitic roots.