A piece of jasper in the shape of a heart.
- a type of chert quartz that is usually reddish due to the presence of hematite
- Bible a precious stone, probably an opaque green quartz
- a kind of porcelain developed by Wedgwood, having a dull surface in green, blue, etc., with raised designs, usually in white
Origin of jasperMiddle English jaspre ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin iaspis ; from Classical Greek a green precious stone, probably akin to Classical Hebrew (language) yāšpeh
a masculine name: equiv. Fr. Gaspard, Ger. Kasper, Sp. Gaspar
Origin of JasperOld French Jaspar ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
An opaque cryptocrystalline variety of quartz that may be red, yellow, or brown.
Origin of jasperMiddle English jaspre, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin iaspis, iaspid-, from Greek iaspis, from Persian yašm, yašb, from Arabic yašb; akin to Hebrew yāš&schwa;pe, perhaps from blend of Akkadian yašpu, chalcedony (sense uncertain) and Akkadian ašpû, jasper (perhaps of Sumerian origin).
- (UK, colloquial) A wasp. (West Country dialects, Somerset County)
- (US, slang) A person, a guy, especially seen as naïve or simple.
From the male personal name Jasper.