- to prohibit (an action) or prohibit the use of (a thing); forbid with authority
- to restrain from doing or using something
- to impede or hinder (the enemy) or isolate (an area, route, etc.) by firepower or bombing
- R.C.Ch. to exclude (a person, parish, etc.) from certain acts, sacraments, or privileges
altered (infl. by L interdictus) < ME entrediten < n. entredit: see interdict below
- an official prohibition or restraint
- R.C.Ch. an interdicting of a person, parish, etc.
altered (infl. by L) < ME entredit < OFr < L interdictum < pp. of interdicere, to forbid, prohibit, lit., to speak between < inter- (see inter-) + dicere, to speak (see diction)