- the science of measuring the configuration of land or underwater surfaces with respect to a datum plane, as sea level
- the configuration of such surfaces; topographic relief
- the representation or description of relief features on a map or chart, as by tints, hachures, etc.
Origin of hypsographyhypso- + -graphy
- a. The scientific study of the earth's topologic configuration above sea level, especially the measurement and mapping of land elevations.b. A representation or description of the earth's topologic features above sea level, as on a map.
- hyp′so·graph′ic hyp′so·graph′i·cal
- (sciences) The data present in contour lines; measurement of altitude or depth versus area.