- Bot. a specialized layer of cells, as for support or water storage, lying immediately beneath the epidermis of a plant organ
- Zool. a layer of cells that lies beneath, and secretes, the cuticle of annelids, arthropods, etc.
Origin of hypodermisModL: see hypo- and amp; dermis
- An epidermal layer of cells that secretes an overlying chitinous cuticle, as in arthropods.
- Botany A layer of cells lying immediately below the epidermis.
- Anatomy A subcutaneous layer of loose connective tissue containing a varying number of fat cells.
hypo- + dermis