- The definition of a hypochondriac is a person who always thinks something is wrong with him or who is abnormally worried about his health.
A person who fears that every ache or sniffle is a sign of a life-threatening disease is an example of a hypochondriac.
- designating or of the region of the hypochondrium
- of or having hypochondria
Origin: Fr hypocondriaque from Glassical Greek hypochondriacus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Relating to or affected with hypochondria.
- Anatomy Relating to or located in the hypochondrium.
- hyˌpo·chon·driˈa·cal adjective
- hyˌpo·chon·driˈa·cal·ly adverb
hypochondriac - Cultural Definition
A person who constantly believes he or she is ill or about to become ill.
hypochondriac - Medical Definition
- Relating to or afflicted with hypochondria.
- Relating to or located in the left or right hypochondrium.
- hypochondriacal adjective