A person who fears that every ache or sniffle is a sign of a life-threatening disease is an example of a hypochondriac.
- designating or of the region of the hypochondrium
- of or having hypochondria
Origin of hypochondriacFrench hypocondriaque ; from Classical Greek hypochondriacus
- Relating to or affected with hypochondria.
- Anatomy Relating to or located in the hypochondrium.
(comparative more hypochondriac, superlative most hypochondriac)
- A person affected with hypochondria.
From French hypocondriaque, from Ancient Greek ὑποχονδριακός (hupochondriakos, “of the region between the ribs and navel”), from ὑποχόνδριος (hupochondrios, “the space between the ribs and the navel”), from ὑπό (hupo, “below”) + χόνδρος (chondros, “cartilage”)